Tuesday 27 January 2015

Magazine Cover - working progress


Below are a few photos showing the progress of my magazine cover, with the different puffs, square blocks added carefully and placed in a particular spot on the front page, where I believed they looked best. I am fond of the slick, sharp feel to most empire magazines and so wanted to replicate this in mine. I was also influenced by the 'coding' from media magazine and so attempted to do something similar as seen by the faint coding travelling down the background layer of the magazine. The blue title was also included in order to outline where my masthead would be placed. I particularly like the the red puffs in the bottom right corner, combined with the black and white writing as I think it creates quite a striking effect. I think the central image is extremely striking and works with the grey/white background colour to my magazine.



Progressing: I placed the 'Two Evils' title almost all over my magazine cover before finally deciding to place it either side of Gabriel's head. I wanted to do this from the start but was trying out different placings before I went with my original idea. I like this placing due to the fact that it fits with the connotation of the title itself. Our film plays around with the theme of split-personalities and this is highlighted through the broken placing of 'Two' and 'Evils'.


Progressing:


I decided to place the CMYK mask just below the title of my magazine front cover as I was strongly influenced by many of Empire's magazine covers, who place a small red 'plus-sign' on their magazine cover to signify that it is their very own front cover. I also thought it worked within the style of the magazine itself. All that was left for me to do here, was to change the colour of 'Two' and 'Evils' in order for them to stand out compared to the brighter, more block red of the magazine.

I was having particular trouble with the masthead for my magazine cover, mainly due to the fact that I was short of ideas. I wanted to play around with the idea of using a razor blade in order to link in with the title of my magazine, which is 'Extended Cut'. Another idea I had was to have the two words on a different level in order to show that it looked like they had been 'cut'. I will keep playing with it until I find something that I think works well with the rest of the magazine cover.


I decided to split the words 'Extended Cut' in half in order to represent this idea of the 'cut', which is a term used in film on a regular basis. Below is the end result…


MT

No comments:

Post a Comment